Tuesday 30 September 2014

Graduate pursues Olympic dreams

The Adidas slogan 'Impossible is Nothing' was a message designed to inspire 'the desire to push yourself further, to surpass limits, to break new ground'.

For UCLan graduate Tene-Riin Vaarmann that mantra is the driving force behind her efforts to achieve her dream role with the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

Tene-Riin graduated with a Sport with Journalism Combined Honours degree in 2012 - something she embarked on with a view to giving herself a broad knowledge base to succeed in her future career.

During her time at UCLan she helped launch Preston Grasshoppers Rugby Football Club's new website whilst on placement there, and was an active member of UCLan Tennis Club.

After graduating, Tene-Riin volunteered at London 2012 and also at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. In Sochi she worked directly for the IOC, helping them carry out the Athletes' Commission election.

Tene-Riin said: "My experience in both Olympics made me realise this is something I want to do in the future, so I applied for a Master's programme which will hopefully get me a job exactly in that field.

"I'm now a student at the International Olympic Academy located in Ancient Olympia, right next to the ancient Olympic stadium. It is simply magical to study or even be in the very heart where it all began.

"My Master's programme entitled 'Olympic studies, Olympic education, organization and management of Olympic event' has been developed in association with the University of Peloponnese, Greece and has been running as a fully recognized degree since 2009. Each year only 30 students are selected from across the world.

"I tend to dream big, so my ultimate goal for the future would be to work for the IOC. I'm sure the road for reaching that goal is going to be very tricky and it is going to take a lot of work.

"UCLan was a very exciting three years for me and I thoroughly enjoyed my academic programme. I also very much enjoyed Sir Tom Finney Sports Centre, as I was lucky enough to train there during its first year. Overall, I must say I really liked my time at UCLan, as it was both academically and socially fulfilling."

No comments:

Post a Comment