Monday 22 June 2015

Thomas secures exciting Manx marketing role

The UCLan Sports Studies programme provides a platform to many varied careers in the world of sport.

Thomas Downward graduates this summer and has already secured an incredible opportunity to undertake a Sports Marketing internship with the Isle of Man Commonwealth Games Association (IoMCGA).

He also plans to study for a postgraduate degree in Sports Marketing to further enhance his future career prospects.

Thomas commented: "The internship is a great opportunity to put into practice the theoretical knowledge I've acquired throughout many of my course modules, and hopefully make the Isle of Man proud of my contribution to the development of Manx sport on the island.

"The Master's degree will enable me to further develop my knowledge and application on the marketing of sport, and will tie in perfectly with my internship."

Thomas will carry out a variety of duties, including developing the presence of the Commonwealth Games on the Isle of Man by forging links with sport governing bodies and their members, business and education centres, and also promoting the IoMCGA brand in the wider Manx community by building the CGA's online and social media presence.

He said his undergraduate studies have proved invaluable as he looks to progress his career in the sports industry.

"Prior to beginning my degree I wasn't exactly sure on the specific career in sport I wanted to pursue," said Thomas. "The Sports Studies course enabled me to explore various disciplines in the sports industry, and the second year sports marketing module really opened my eyes about what I wanted to do.

"I recently completed a placement at South Ribble School Sports Partnership as a Social Media and Marketing Intern, where I further developed my knowledge and application of marketing communications, considerably enhancing my personal and transferable skills and interest in sports marketing.

"I'd like to express my gratitude and appreciation to all of my module tutors and course leaders, who offered excellent ongoing support and dedication throughout my three years at UCLan."

No comments:

Post a Comment